Friday, November 30, 2012

Why Your Job Search is Failing

One of the hardest parts of our jobs is when job seekers  approach us and say "I don't care what job I do, I'll do anything, I just want to work." I get that, I really do, but you're lying.

To be an effective job seeker, particularly in this market, you absolutely need to know the type of organization that you want to work for, one or two different roles that you would like to have and any other relevant parameters such as maximum commute time. Until you know this, spending hours online applying to job boards or sending out resumes is a complete waste of time.

Brazen Careerist shared a terrific article on 6 Reasons Your Job Search is Failing Big Time. While none of these tips is earth-shattering new, it's a reminder that you need to know what you're looking for and how to find it. Effective job seekers know the job they want, can easily connect the dots for hiring managers as to why they're the best fit, and network themselves into those roles.

No comments: