Friday, August 6, 2010

I Might Screw Up, But No One's Going to Die

Even in the best job I've had, Directing the Washington, D.C. office of Momentum Resources, I have bad days. I make mistakes. I forget to return calls or am late getting in a contract, but at the end of the day, no one's going to die. As stressful as life as a working mother can be, imagine if your professional life held other people's life in the balance?

I considered this after reading Parenting Squad's "Work Life Balance Tips from a Heart Surgeon." The article details tips from Dr. Kathy Magliato, a world-renown cardio-thoracic surgeon. Dr. Magliato believes that there's never really a balance, and rather than compartmentalize the two parts of our lives (which- let's be honest- women are just not good at doing!) we should integrate the two.

Dr. Magliato advocates involving your children in your day-to-day work. Whether it's occasionally bringing her children on rounds or having them make artwork for her patients, she's found a way to bring what she does while she's away from her family into her family.

It sounds easy enough, but for many of us, do our kids even care? I tried to talk to my 8-year old boys about what I do and although they were somewhat interested in me helping other parents find jobs that allowed them to spend more time with their families, they really wanted to know when we could go to the pool. Any my 3-year-old? Forget it.

Do you talk to your children about your day job? Have you found unique ways to incorporate your children into your daily work life? Are your kids even remotely interested? Share with the crowd!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Last year my son started preschool. Since it started at 9:30am, we would go to my office first. While I read emails and got organized for the day, my son would do some coloring or letters worksheets. Sometimes he would also talk to coworkers and soon he became the office pet. It was a very special year for both of us.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.