Monday, January 16, 2012

You Need to Tell Me What You Want

Want to know the least helpful response to the question "what kind of work are you looking for?"

I'll do anything.

Because it's not true, that's why. Because if you're a seasoned marketing professional and I say terrific, I've got a fantastic opportunity for you digging ditches for $10/hr, you're going to tell me no, actually, what I'm looking for is .......

If you're a job-seeker, you need to be able to tell any- and everybody (including the good folks here at Momentum Resources!) what role you're seeking, how much you'd like to work, what you think is fair compensation for that work and bonus points if you can list a few organizations on your target list.

I recently had a conversation with a new candidate who gave me a terrific set of job search parameters that really helped me help her focus her job search. She said, "I am open to any marketing, writing, communications, project management or executive admin position in the Northern VA area (Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria). My ultimate goal is to find a permanent role working 20-25 hours per week virtually or onsite 3-4 days a week between the hours of 9:30 am - 3:00 pm. My salary range is $30-35 per hour, negotiable."

Now THAT we can work with.

No comments: